Thursday, November 20, 2008

Why isn't more TV online?

Ok, I probably should not complain because there really is allot of television shows already online but not necessarily the one I want, when I need it to be.

Tonight the prime-time line-up starts with Survivor, followed by C.S.I. Crime Scene Investigation and to round up the evening Eleventh Hour. Sounds good to me and as usual I'm ready for it.

There is one slight snag in getting my TV fix however, someone scheduled a get together dinner and drinks event for the employees of where my wife works tonight. This someone must either have Tivo or is a Fox fan, neither of which applies to me.

With Survivor no problem, CBS posts those episodes online but their other two shows, I'm not so lucky.

Why don't television studios put more of their shows online, I mean why not? It is clearly a convenience to be able to watch your favorite shows on your schedule verses your local broadcasting stations schedule. Maybe providing convenience to the viewers isn't a priority, which I can partially understand. I'm sure the studios main concern is the bottom-line which causes me to think that is why not all shows are online. Commercials. There are less commercials when viewing shows online compared to viewing the shows on television. This means less exposure for the advertisers.

If this is the reason, there is seems to be a flaw in the theory. Why put some of the most popular shows online but not the other popular shows online? Both Survivor and C.S.I. are very popular. So it's ok for the Survivor fans to see less ads but the C.S.I. fans need to see all the ads. I don't see the logic.

Maybe it has nothing to do with commercials, it could be related to demographics. Maybe the the demographics of one show would be more apt to view shows online where as another demographic of another show would not be likely to sit in front of their computer to watch tv. I think this theory has a few holes as well though. It would imply that one demographic only watches the one particular show and not the other ones.

I'm left with no answers and only hopes of more tv shows online in the future. I surely hope I'm wrong about the commercials though. I'm sure as viewing tv onlilne becomes more popular and more shows are available online this will increase the commercials as well.

Maybe some studio exec out there could shed some light on the subject.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

Who's behind the keyboard?

A guy named James
Long Beach, California, United States
a wanna be pro blogger that likes to write, but partially lacks the necessary skills to do so with any real finesse.
View my complete profile

About This Blog

Something to ponder

"If homosexuality is really genetic, we may soon be able to tell if a fetus is predisposed to homosexuality, in which case many parents might choose to abort it. Will gay rights activists continue to support abortion rights if this occurs?" ...Dale A. Berryhill, The Assault: Liberalism’s Attack on Religion, Freedom, and Democracy


The homosexual agenda threatens the liberties of others while seeking special protection for themselves, however,


...homosexual behavior is not inborn, involuntary, immutable, or innocuous, nor is it found in the Constitution. There is no compelling, logical basis for treating it as a protected category under civil rights laws, or for granting special protection against “discrimination” based on “sexual orientation.” ...Homosexuality is not a Civil Right